2019 Art & Literary Contest
Official Judges Portal
Dear esteemed Judges,
Welcome to the 2019 Odyssey Magazine of the Arts competition. We are so glad to have you as one of our judges, and we look forward to working with you to help decide the winners of the annual Art & Literary contest.
Every year, the Odyssey Magazine of the Arts holds a competition for Lake-Sumter State College Students to promote the amazing creativity of our students and to help spread the appreciation of the arts. Your role as judge is an important one. You have the difficult task of deciding which artworks, short stories, poems and non-fiction entries deserve our 1st place prizes: $100.00 in every category and guaranteed publication in the spring edition of the magazine.
Below you will find a link for each of the category sets that links to images of the works you are to judge, along with a rubric (evaluation) that will help you decide who takes the top 4 places in each category. Before we begin, there are some important elements you need to know.
1. There can be only 4 winners in each category: 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, and Honorable Mention.
2. There can be only 1 Honorable Mention per category.
3. Our artists really value your feedback. I encourage you to leave your honest impressions in each evaluation and we will pass that information along to winners and others alike. One of the things I get asked every year as the faculty advisor is what the judges have to say about each piece. Your feedback as a professional is an important tool for our students and I encourage you to help them be better artists and writers by offering commentary on each piece you review.
4. In the event of a tie-score you may be asked to choose the winner from the two pieces. There must be a clear winner in every category.
5. You may, after discussion with the Faculty Advisor, nominate a piece as "Judges Choice" for your category/categories. It does not have to be the 1st place winner to earn this honor, nor does it have to be a winner of any form. It can be any piece in the category. There can be only one Judges Choice for each category, but it does not have to be awarded. It is an optional honor given to a piece that you feel strongly about. Please provide additional information about why you wish this piece to receive an additional honor.
Please select your official judging category below and enter your password to being the selection process. You have until November 21st 2019 at midnight to complete your evaluations. There is no time limit on the judging - you can start and stop as you prefer, as long as it is completed by the due date. Please keep track of the entry number you stop on if you leave - you will be able to advance to that entry on your return.
Please email me if you have any questions during the selection process:
Again, thank you so much for your time, your generosity, and your support of our student artists and authors. As an Official Judge of the contest, you will be invited in April to attend the opening of our Gallery of the Arts where the winners and other entries in the contest will be on display. More information will be provided in the spring of 2020.
All the best,
Kevin Arms, Faculty Advisor and the staff of the Odyssey Magazine
Official Judging Categories 2017-2018